Tuesday, January 11, 2011

I’m out.

Today I deleted my facebook account.  Forever.

I couldn’t take it anymore.  My primary frustration is with the commodification of personal information that is gathered from people who are (in my opinion) unwittingly providing a (soon to be publicly traded) corporation with their commodity as well as exposing themselves to dangers they are completely unaware of.

I think that our society has found itself in the midst of a revolution that it is unknowingly participating in and legally unprotected from.  At this point I’m struggling to articulate all the things I’m angry about but it seems the only thing I can do is stop participating.  So, I’m out.  Apparently, facebook is so appalled that I asked them to delete me that I have 14 days to consider my decision.  Perhaps I’ll work on articulating my reasons for leaving and express them here.  From this point forward, you can expect to find more posts here.

No comments:

Post a Comment